Friday, August 13, 2010

Ham and Cheese Corn Pudding

(4 servings)


I intended to make a plain corn pudding side, but before I knew it, I had turned it into a meal. As is usually the case with me, I found a few things in my refrigerator I wanted to use up.

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup ham, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 1/2-3 cups shucked fresh corn (3 large ears)
1/2 green onion, green part sliced (optional, I wanted the colour)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3.5 oz)
3 tbsp unbleached flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sour cream
2 eggs
hot sauce, to taste (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8 inch square baking dish (2 qt), set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet. Add the garlic and fry for about 1 minute. Add the onion and saute over medium to low heat until it's a nice even golden brown; about 12 minutes.

Remove from heat and set aside to cool somewhat.

Meanwhile, combine the red pepper, ham, corn, cheese, and green onion in a bowl. Sprinkle the flour over this mixture, the salt and pepper and toss to combine well.

Whisk together the milk, sour cream, eggs and hot sauce (if using). Pour this over the ham, cheese and corn mixture, add the sauteed onions and toss to combine everything well.

Pour this into the prepared baking dish and bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.

Serve warm with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment