Sunday, September 12, 2010

Making Pizza with My Family

I just recently took a little time off work to be with Jo in Sydney.

He says I don't blog enough and that I should put up recipes of my cooking like I used to. Okay okay.. he is right... haha I rarely get the chance to cook and photograph at the same time; so this was a fun project we did together! He understands how busy I am; but he keeps reminding me of important aspects of my life I sometimes easily take for granted.

I had such a fulfilling holiday! I got some work done in between; visited my favourite Sydney spots, got to see my friends; watch Jo graduate at uni; hung out with family, play in the kitchen and leisurely test out a couple recipes for Delectable... it was exactly what I needed!

Before I left; I thought it would be a good idea for Jo and I to make a mother's day lunch for his mom. She cooks for us ALL the time; and though she does let me be sous chef occasionally; I thought it would be nice if Jo and I could make her something for a change. Omma (mom) makes the most ridiculously delicious rice and homemade Korean dishes; ridiculously... I pile on the pounds each time i visit! She's just too good! Resistance is futile.

Instead of trying to guess what she'd like to eat; we asked her what she wanted us to make.
She said "Thin crust gourmet pizza"

....oh ... wow.. for 2 seconds she caught my face going blank! Hahaha and then I thought of instant dry active yeast..and *phew* my complexion gained colour again. She did a little laugh; and said it was okay if I don't know how to make pizza. Well, I knew HOW.. i've just never on my own made it again out of pastry school. *scary*

We went grocery shopping for a brand new pizza pan and gathered a little basket of ingredients.

Jo was so enthusiastic about the idea; he loves pizza! well.. i do too.. and so does Omma; so i guess it was the perfect suggestion!



I've made pizza dough in school once in the past; and I suppose it is pretty easy to wing a recipe like this. The whole process is really really simple to recreate at home.

1 sachet active dry yeast (70-80 grams/0.25 ounces)
1/4 tsp sugar
3/4 cup luke warm water
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp salt

1. Weigh sugar; flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Activate yeast in luke warm water as measurements. Allow to fizzle for 5 minutes or so. Make a well in the m
ixing bowl center; pour in the yeast + liquid mixture; stir to form a rough ball as below.


2. Knead dough ball for 2-3 minutes till dough is elastic and smooth. Flour hands a little to make it workable; do not dust too much flour on the kneading surface. Divide dough in half. One recipe makes 2 thin crust pizza's approximately 14 inches in diameter.

3. Lightly oil surface of pizza pan with olive oil and press out one dough ball to form a small disc. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.

4. Press out dough disc to reach corners and form a thin base crust. If it continues to shrink inwards; allow to rest; and press out again.

5. Toppings!! tomato base first; and then meats; veges... top with cheese and Italian herbs. Remember to thinly slice your components and never pile the pizza too thick! a little cheese goes a long way ;)



6. Bake in preheated 170 degree oven for 40 minutes; till crusts are golden; cheese is bubbly and deliciously melted; ahhh!! i love pizza! haha

We were tempted (more than a couple times) to pop an 'instant' pre sauced pizza base into our trolley at the supermarket; but thank goodness we didn't succumb! This recipe is MUCH much Yummier!




Jo measured the ingredients while I activated the yeast.
It was really nice to be cooking with Jo again. He's a chemist; a perfectionist at recipe measuring haha. As I watched and photograph him kneading the dough; I recalled how much he used to help me in the kitchen when I had just began venturing into the cake business 3 years ago in Australia. He's sweet, kind, intelligent, funny, helpful, loves cake and makes excellent pizza from scratch... i'm one lucky lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment