Monday, February 8, 2010

Wedding Bells

Wedding bells are a weekly affair for Su.
Contrary to common bells which ring in merriment and joyous tunes; mine goes off like a fire alarm: monotonous and denoting urgency!

When it comes to weddings; my department is The Cake = the freshly assembled; towering + delicious work of art at the center of each ceremony's attention. Lots of pressure I tell ya! I’ve only got less than 2 days to make this masterpiece holding hopes of the happily married couple to recreate their dream cake; symbolic of their compatibility and love.

The way wedding cake designs come about doesn't just require detail thought based on it's appearance; it must also reflect the wedding venue practicality; fit a feasible budget and most importantly; is something that is significant to the ceremony.

I make these tiers of sweetness every weekend. Though many of them may have similar colour tones and themes; they each are significantly unique in their own special way. I’ve come to terms with the fact that all my Thursdays and Fridays will be permanently allocated to calming the chimes of these wedding bells. It’s stressful to think that I’ve only got this one chance to do this right!

Throughout the week I’d be staring at the sketches, thinking of the colours and conceptualizing what it’d be like exactly when the cake comes together; but it isn’t until the very last couple of days when I can actually begin work. The cake has to be fresh! And YUMMY! That’s the whole point!

As I work on individual pieces; it often requires me to make decisions and slight adjustments as to what would be best logistically and more attractive as an end product. Sketches sometimes look good on paper; and I’m not exactly one hell of an artist on pen! hehe

So you wonder...Does the ringing ever stop? Well; it actually gets pleasant at some point!

After the pressure filled agenda of transporting-cake-from car to venue-in one piece; …. then comes the dramatic entrance of the cake into the floral filled wedding wonderland! The bells will now chime melodiously; almost fairytale-esc tunes!

It’s the joy of placing each cake onto it’s pedestal on stage; fixing it up to perfection and then stepping back for a quick – Wow…. *sigh that’s pretttyyy. I wish I could send every cake to each venue myself; because that really is my favourite part of the whole process!


No comments:

Post a Comment