Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sour Cream Berry Pie with Crumb Topping

(1  9" pie)


I was organising my freezer and came across a bag of frozen berries I forgot I had. I also had some sour cream in my refrigerator which was due to expire by the end of the week, so I combined those two items with a few more things and made a pie.

crumb topping
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 stick butter

Place everything into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture is combined and resembles crumbs. Set aside.

pie filling
1 cup sour cream
1/4 -1/2 cup sugar, to taste
1 egg
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp almond extract, optional
2 1/2 cups mixed frozen berries, defrosted and drained in a sieve

1  9" unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Whisk together the sour cream, sugar, egg, flour and almond extract in a bowl until well mixed. Stir in the berries.
Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top.

Bake the pie in the centre of the oven for about 50-60 minutes or until the custard is firm and the crumb mixture on top has browned.

Cool completely before serving. This pie is best the day it's made.

No comments:

Post a Comment