Saturday, January 23, 2010

Körözött, Hungarian Cheese Spread

(serves 4)


This is an adaptation of a spread my father used to make. He added almost as much butter as cheese to his, which I consider way too rich. I not only omit the butter, but I replace the cream cheese with neufchatel for a lower fat version. I'm also inclined to add a bit more lemon juice, capers and anchovies as I prefer it fairly robust.

This piquant spread just isn't the same without the anchovies, and I strongly urge you to use them. I have served it to people who think they hate them and to be honest, I don't believe they even realised there were anchovies in it.

8 oz neufchatel cheese
4-8 anchovy fillets, drained
1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp caraway seeds

1 tbsp capers
2 tbsp green onion, chopped or chives

Place the neufchatel, anchovy fillets, paprika, lemon juice and caraway seeds into the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
 
Scrape down the sides and add the capers and green onions and pulse once or twice until just mixed.
 
Serve with bread or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment